Saturday, April 23, 2011

Gen Con 2011 Event List Is Out


Last night Gen Con released the Event list for 2011.  You can download it in the obnoxious .csv file and open in Excel, scrolling through 8171 rows trying to find what you are looking for, but my suggestion is just to use this much better website for browsing events. 

I've got to say I'm a little disappointed with the event list.  There are a couple of games I really wanted to play at the convention that just aren't available.  Aces & Eights is probably the biggest of these.  Last year there was only one game and this year none... Very disappointing.  I really wanted to play Pendragon as well, but that is also totally unavailable.  Hackmaster Basic is finally getting some love this year, so that is good, but there are no Song of Ice and Fire RPG games.  It's good to see more 1st and 2nd editon D&D games being played this year.  The two 1st edition games we played last year were a blast.  We will definitely be signing up for more of those.

4 comments:

Christopher Stogdill said...

Aces & Eights wasn't listed because I didn't have any volunteers step up to either write or run any adventures. We couldn't just list games and hope they get taken care of....

Labyrinthian said...

That's too bad, Chris. Aces & Eights is an amazing game any maybe the one that my group was most looking forward to playing at the Con.

It always surprises me how few people play A&8. It's a great game, but that just hasn't translated into being mainstream.

It's good to see Hackmaster getting some love this year, though. I'll definitely be looking into some of those events.

Christopher Stogdill said...

Actually, I think there are a lot of people playing Aces & Eights, just like there were lots of people playing HackMaster (4th Edition). Many players simply have no desire to play the game beyond their home group.
It doesn't help that, at least in my opinion, that Aces & Eights really doesn't lend itself to tournament play.

Labyrinthian said...

Chris - I always felt, give the lethality of the combat system, that A&8 in some ways worked better suited to a one shot game than to a long campaign. As someone with far more experience with the game, why you think the game isn't well suited to convention play?