Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Currency


I was doing some work on the Money and Treasure section of my Caliburn game and I thought it would be cool to have a visual for the coins of the realm.  One of Gareth's (the King Arthur parallel) big contributions during his long reign as King was a unified currency that everyone still uses after his death.  I did some mock ups which you can view below.  The coins are called Copper Castles, Silver Stallions and Golden Crowns.  You'll see one of each depicted on the "heads" side below.  The tails side of each coin features a Celtic knot design, a symbol of Calibrese unity. 

As always click the image for higher resolution and feel free to leave your opinions in the comments section. 

4 comments:

Swordgleam said...

Those look nice.

Where did you get the knotwork design for the border? I'm working on a random coin image generator, and it'd be cool to have something like that. Right now they have either text or nothing as borders.

Labyrinthian said...

If you do a Google search for Celtic Knots you will find a number of .PNG files that have transparent backgrounds. Those can be seamlessly integrated into a preexisting design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Celtic_round_dogs.svg

That is an example (Just the first one I pulled up) I don't think it will work as a border, but there many others that would.

Another option, if you have Adobe Illustrator, is to use the circular marquee tool along with a Celtic Knot vector.

A random coin generator sounds really cool! Email me the link when it's finished. I'd love to have a look at it.

Swordgleam said...

The main problem with finding images is that I have to use public domain stuff or creative commons stuff that doesn't require attribution (because I have hundreds of images and no room to give credit for that many sources). I'll take a look at that link - wikipedia does have some public domain stuff.

Would you want to be a beta tester? Less in terms of finding bugs (though that's important, too) and more for suggesting features. For example, I hadn't even thought of graphical borders before seeing your coins.

Labyrinthian said...

Swordgleam - Send me an email with the details, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.