Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Critical Hit Chart with Diagrams

I bought GameMastery's critical hit and critical miss decks, but they aren't universally loved in my group.  Perhaps it is for that reason that I started working on a critical hit chart that straddles the line between detail and efficiency. Well, that and the desire to incporporate the oft left out d30!  Though it is still very much a work in progress I thought I'd share with you what I have so far.

Initially when scoring a critical hit one rolls a d8 with the following result in addition to the normal critical damage (x2, x3, etc)

1. Equipment Damage
2. Muscle Damage
3. Extra Damage (Minor)
4. Bodily Jarred
5. Extra Damage (Major)
6. Free Additional Attack
7. Bleed Damage
8. Broken Bones

Equipment damage includes things like damaging an opponents armor, shield, or even weapon.  Muscle damage would result in penalties and reduced movement rates.  Minor extra damage adds even more damage to a critical, typically a single die, while major extra damage adds two dice.  Bodily Jarred includes things like losing a hold on weapon or shield, being knocked down, or knocked back, etc.  Free additional attack allows for the person who scored the critical to make another attack at the same bonus as that which scored the critical.  Bleed damage results in consistant loss of hp every round (see below).  Broken bones produce a variety of effects from reduced movement speed to paralysis (see below).

In addition to the additional charts, muscle damage, bleed damage, and broken bones.  First drafts for both Bleed Damage and Broken Bones can be found below.

 


That's all for now.  I'll post more when I have an update, the next step will be the muscle damage chart.

3 comments:

Norman J. Harman Jr. said...

Hackmaster DMG has charts just like this, with ridiculously more detail.

And we have different definitions of "efficiency" ;)

I like dice with hit locations on them. Pazio sells a d12 like that.

Labyrinthian said...

I love the HM 4th edition charts! I would say they serve as the principal inspiration for the above. My concern is that they are TOO detailed and take too much time. I want a balance between detail and speed.

For those who haven't seen them, HM4 crits are crazy. They can be found in the GMG on page 110. I highly recommend you take a look. Hell the whole GMG is an amazing resource, regardless of what system you play!

Johnn Four said...

We're currently testing out the Paizo Criticals and Fumbles decks. So far, player results are mixed. We're doing a 5 instance test and will make a final group decision after that.