Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Conan Pictures

Recently some photos from the new Conan movie were leaked.  Though not of the highest quality they give a little insight into what category this movie is likely to find itself in.

I call it the dumpster.

I had little hope for this movie, the budget isn't huge and their casting seemed questionable, to put it kindly.  But I couldn't help but tell myself, "Hey... It's Conan.  This movie could definitely be cool."  I mean you don't need a ton of money to make a great Conan film, right?  Conan shouldn't be some prissyed up movie with so many special effects that the actors spend most of their time in front of a green screen (I'm looking at you Episodes 1-3), it should be gritty and primal.     

But enough of what this movie should of and could have been.  Let's take a look at what it will be.






Sadly this is the best picture.  It shows a guy suspended in a cage over what looks like some type of pit.  Ritual sacrifice to some demon or god?  Sounds like Conan to me!  But shouldn't the guy be a woman and at least be scantly clad?













Men ride through woods wearing bad costumes.  One of them looks like Friar Tuck.  Sigh...










 Man with chariot coach. 
















A first look at our would be Hero.  Where to begin?  Well let me start by saying that this is the guy who was cast as Khal Drogo for A Game of Thrones.  He seems well suited for that role.  This one?  Not so much. Though I must admit I'm more confused with his outfit than anything else.  What kind of armor is that?  Why does he have mail on one armor only?  Sigh....









Here is a closer shot.  Once again we see the head scratching costume.  Jason Momoa obviously bulked up for this role, but it is far from enough.















Again, what little hope I had for this movie is all but gone.  I want it to be good, I pray that my instincts are wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Time will tell.

4 comments:

Cameron said...

Hey, now - those ARE location shots. Looks like Conan's already ahead of the prequel trilogy there. Also, these could very well be shots don't make it past editing. Also, production stills generally suck anyway, regardless of the movie.

What I'm saying is, don't count it out yet.

That being said; yeah: it'll probably suck anyway.

Anonymous said...

Well, the armors not so confusing. He's wearing a leather kilt (a slight upgrade from the traditional loin cloth) and a mail or scale vambrace. The vambrace is a bit large, going all the way up the arm, but not so bad. We'll likely see it used to block attacks i nthe combat scenes.

And as for the clothed captive... it only needs to be a scantily clad female if Conan is about to rescue her from the demon-god's jaws. If it's jsut a framing scene to demonstrate the toothy/firey/tentacley goodness of the pit thing there a fully clothed minion will do fine.

Professor Obscure said...

There armor looks a lot like the roman gladiator armor of the light-armor type of gladiator (I forget what they were called). The armor on one arm assumed you had a big shield in the other hand, though I've seen this single-arm armor appear on the shield arm too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gladiators_from_the_Zliten_mosaic_3.JPG

What gets me is how he doesn't match anyone else. Is he a time traveller? Has he just escaped from being a slave?

Tourq said...

Is this the dude from Stargate: Atlantis?

If so, ...sigh.

-Tourq