Tuesday, November 09, 2010

30 Minute Map: A Preview


I was looking back at my five minute map tutorial the other day.  While I think it was great and I got a lot of great emails from people that it helped, it got me thinking what else was possible given a short amount of time and little to no artistic talent (the latter being something which I am well known for). 

So I am now working on a new technique called the thirty minute map.  Like the five minute map it relies on Photoshop to randomly generate terrain through the rendering of clouds.  However, unlike the five minute map, it allows for more detail, and for the map to be made on more of a regional scale. 

I'm still working out a few kinks and cutting the fat out of the process, but I thought I'd give a preview of what a test map using the technique looks like.  



Keep an eye out for the final technique coming soon!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Looking forward to your next post. If it is not too much, could you also show how to create a map like that, but with hand drawn land vs. random land? Thanks for the great blog!

Pontifex said...

That is positively awesome, dude. I would love to learn to make it. I really got a lot of mileage out of your cloud-rendering tips.

BicenCell said...

This map is incredible! If you can provide me with a way to make one for my campaign you will be my hero.