Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sell Me on Your Favorite Mass Combat System - Part 2



Thanks to all those responded via email and in our comments section to my call for help in finding a mass combat system.  I guess I never realized how many mass combat systems were out there.  The sheer number available is slightly jaw dropping. 

Wanting to compile a comprehensive list of the systems that seemed most promising, I took the suggestions from those kind enough to offer them and added some of the other systems I had heard of by word of mouth and online.  I couldn't seem to get the preliminary list down below 20 so I just gave up and left it at that.  As I look through each system I'm sure I'll eliminate some fairly quickly.

Here is the list... 


  1. Conan d20
  2. Tunnels & Trolls
  3. D&D Rules Cyclopedia
  4. Legend of the Five Rings
  5. GURPS Mass Combat
  6. Savage Worlds
  7. Decipher's Lord of the Rings RPG
  8. Rolemaster’s War Law
  9. The Flower of Battle for the Riddle of Steel
  10. A Song of Ice and Fire RPG
  11. Burning Empire (By Burning Wheel)
  12. Army of Darkness RPG
  13. Pendragon
  14. Black Company Campaign Setting
  15. HeroQuest
  16. Cry Havoc
  17. Way of the Daimyo
  18. Empire (Alderac)
  19. Fields of Blood (Eden Studio)
  20. Birthright Campaign Setting


Some of these I already have but haven't looked at, while others will require me to head over to DriveThruRPG for the PDF to save money.  This seems to be a more epic undertaking than I had anticipated, but it seems like it might be a lot of fun! 

If anyone has any experience with one or more of these and doesn't think they are worth my time and money please let me know via email or in the comments section.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Are you iterested in using mins for the battle if it is quick (under 2 hours)? If so, Hordes of the Things, which you can find as a free PDF right now until it goes back in print, is easy, fast, and can play out mass battles with 50 minis or less to a side.

    Also check out Delta's D&D Hotspot, he's developing mass battle rules that are supposed to more or less mirror the expected results of regular D&D combat on a larger scale.

    There is also a supplement for Castles & Crusades for battles that should be out now.

    Labyrinthian said...

    Thanks, I'll have to check those out!