Monday, January 24, 2011

Another D&D TV Commercial

Since earlier today I posted a pretty bad recent commercial for Dungeons and Dragons 4e I thought I should post this better commercial that I found for D&D Essentials.  It doesn't have the Beholder, but it also doesn't have the bizarre marketing strategy. 






Once again we see that Essentials is marketed for Old School Gamers rather than kids.  Something that Ryan Dancy thought very strange.  Still it is a quantum step forward from that other commercial.  This one makes me think about D&D and not about what the creators were thinking. 

2 comments:

Pontifex said...

In a way, this is the worst one in my opinion. I get a slight "D&D is about Satan" vibe from this one. And that is something I would like to really really avoid.

Labyrinthian said...

@Greg - Wow, I hadn't thought of that... and I'm one of those guys who had to hide D&D from my mom when I was a kid because she thought it was dangerous and satanical. The stupidity of that whole D&D = Demon Worship BS really annoys the crap out of me to this day.

But like I said, I really didn't get that vibe from it when I watched it. After reaching your thoughts and watching it again, I can definitely see where you are coming from. Maybe the fact that they aired this commercial means that the general public has moved past all those baseless accusations.