Thursday, April 28, 2011

Which Monster Manual?

Yesterday's Monster topic and Seth's comment about the 2nd Edition Monster Manual really got me thinking about the differences between the various editions Monster Manuals.  From edition to edition the books vary a great deal while containing most of the same core group of monsters.  So my question to you, noble reader, is which Monster Manual do you like best and why?

There are plenty to choose from, here are pictures of your options to jog your memory a bit.  Noted that I've included Pathfinder as many (including myself) see it as D&D 3.75, and I included two covers of the AD&D 1st edition MM because one is near and dear to my heart and the other is the one that most people owned.  







4 comments:

-C said...

The first edition one is the best, though the most modern (bestiary) comes in a close second, and for entirely different reasons.

The first gives you bizzarness in the form of quirky bits of information and openess in design you need to quickly use monsters in an interesting way.

The Bestiary gives you essentially hundreds of complete fantasy races, evocative of a breathing, living world.

Geek Gazette said...

I prefer the 2eAD&D MM (attributed mostly to nostalgia) but the Pathfinder Bestiary is tied for top spot.

Anonymous said...

3.5 cuz 3.5 is the only edition that matters.

Chris said...

2nd Edition is what my friends and I continue to play, we don't want it "simplified" or dumbed down for "convenience". I like using the Thac0 system lol......2nd Edition All the way!