Monday, June 13, 2011

Destination Unknown Cartography Skills


One of the sites I make a stop at every day is Destination Unknown.  It is a really mellow and positive site that reflects its owner.  The guy who runs it, Christian, loves gaming, gardening cooking, and surfing, but somehow has gotten it into his head that he isn't much of an artist or a map maker.  

I say nay to that!

Yesterday he posted a revised map that he had made for his campaign setting and it looked pretty damn good to my eye, but he didn't seem to be happy with it.  I took the liberty of sprucing it up a bit (hopefully this doesn't piss him off!) but made no significant changes to his map.  I am posting it here since I can't seem to find an email address anywhere on his site.  

See Christian, you are in fact quite the artist!

5 comments:

Pontifex said...

Are you using a special tool or layer effect to do the shadows on the rooftops or is that just manual work?

Looks totally awesome, by the way.

Christopher said...

That was a really cool thing for you to do. It looks great, and I'm sure Christian will be pleased!

christian said...

Wow! Just...wow! This is so awesome and I am so terribly grateful to you and your fine efforts!

You really made my morning. :)

Jim said...

Nice work! Thanks for sharing this!

Labyrinthian said...

@Christian - You did all the heavy lifting, I just did the easy part! I'm really glad you like it. Keep up the great work!

@Greg - To make the shadows on the buildings use the Bevel & Emboss Layer style. Don't use smooth, hit it with chisel hard or soft. Adjust everything else to taste.