Monday, August 31, 2009

Cartographer's Corner: Two Towns

I created two more town maps for use in my upcoming Caliburn basic campaign. The first is a nearby town protected by a lesser Baron, Samuel Balan. It is the largest town in the northern part of the region known as the North Valley. It is has shops, an inn, blacksmiths, and a large town square where merchents from the area come to sell and trade. Here is the map...


The second town map I did was for the small village of Ashvale, the town where the PCs begin. The town itself spang up in the shadow of a small keep that was built long ago to protect the valley from northern raiders. It is a small village that doesn't boast a single shop, inn, or trading area. Most of the people that live there are farmers or hunters who make their living in the forest northwest of the village. The castle is owned by Sir William Kegan, a sworn Knight of the Baron Balan of Lakecrest. Here is the map...


Finally, I made a regional map to show where all these places were in relation to one another. I did it in photoshop rather than in Campaign Cartographer, though I may do a CC version and compare the two to see which is better. For now I like this one, and it only took about 15 minutes to make.


So I'm done with maps for now, and I don't even hate them... which is new for me.

1 comment:

SDragon said...

This isn't a style I think that I would have much fun with if I, personally, were creating these maps, but the Lakecrest map is precisely what I need for a town map for the game I just started. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have to print out a copy to show my players.

"See this building, here? In the upper left? That's the tavern you're in. This road here leads to the cemetery. Oh, this house, here? Well..."