Monday, August 17, 2009

Fireside Gaming


I didn't get to go to Gen Con this year. In fact, I never get to go, which sucks. Maybe next year will be my year, but for this year I'm taking another gaming related trip.

My whole gaming group and I are going on a camping trip. We'll be spending the weekend gaming and attending King Richard's Faire. We are getting to the campground on Friday, gaming that night, all day Saturday, and attending the faire on Sunday. What we were going to play during the trip took some deciding.

Essentially the choice of games came down to D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and Hackmaster Basic. Bryan (who plays Lyell in our current game) volunteered to run any of the three systems. I offered to run a HMB game. It took awhile but eventually the group decided on me and HMB. So it looks like I'll be running my first ever Hackmaster game. Am I nervous? A little.

The game I'll be running is an introduction to a campaign I've been working on off and on for a while. It is called Caliburn and was originally inspired by the classic PC game Spirit of Excalibur. The setting isn't finished so I'll be running a kind of Caliburn Basic to go along with Hackmaster Basic, kind of fitting really.

The group just made the decision on Thursday so I haven't had a lot of time to figure out what the general plot of the game is going to be. The good news is that I have about a month to get everything ready, which should be plenty of time. I'll probably post about my progress leading up to the trip and then a review of how it went and my impressions of running a game in the system.

First things first... I have to read the GM section of the HMB manual!

No comments: