Friday, February 26, 2010

How Many Dice is Too Many?


We as Gamers have a long love affair with Dice.  We can't get enough of them.  We roll them, collect them, show them off, trade them, convince ourselves that some are better or more lucky than others, heck some people even wear them as jewelry

But just how many dice is too many?

Next time you head off to a game count how many dice you are bringing.  I did this the other day and found that I regularly brought over 500 dice to each and every game session.  Have I ever needed them all for a game?  Of course not.  So why bring them?  That was a question I posed to myself and the answer was...
 
Just in Case.  
 
See I don't want to be caught with my pants down should my dice turn against me (See Paragraph 1).  I always want to make sure that I have backups.  So couldn't I just bring one extra set of dice?  Sure, but that doesn't seem to be enough to secure piece of mind.  I'm convinced that should I leave any of my dice at home that is one I'll need.  Even my d5 that I have never had to roll for any reason... ever. Logically I know that this is a paranoid myth that I've created and should I ever leave some of the dice behind it probably wouldn't affect the game in any way.
 
So does this mean that I'll give into logic and next game bring only one set of dice?

Hell no!  The real myth here is that you can EVER have too many Dice! 

1 comment:

Chuck said...

You know after a session with some really bad dice mojo, I went out and bought a new set of Game Science dice and new dice bag. Right now I'm slowly rebuilding my collection of dice I use at the game but I still keep my crappy old dice in my gaming bag. Just in case.