Sunday, March 14, 2010

Maps Galore!



I finally stopped procrastinating and sat down to redo the Caliburn Map.  The map I was previously using can be seen here.  Obviously there is nothing wrong with that map, and to be honest I loved it when  I made it, but I doesn't look as good to me anymore and more to the point it doesn't match with some of the other maps I've been working on for the game. 

So without further ado, here is a look at the new version.



As you can see the basic layout is very similar, but coast lines are more detailed.  There are other changes as well such as the font, the compass and the nav lines.  The border is also new, I had previously been using the border from Spirit of Excalibur, but for this new map I opted to use a silver celtic patern.

Obviously that map is just the basic map from which I'm going to create the various versions to be included in the game.  The first version I set out to do was a political version.  Previously this look like this, but I decided to change things and move some Kingdoms around.  I'm still not set on the political boundaries, and they will almost certainly change before the final product is done, but here is a look at the first draft. 



With the political boundaries set I decided rather than labeling the map with words that I would use the shields of the various Kings.  The idea is that with rampant illiteracy in Caliburn it would allow the maps to be more easily understood.  Here is a look at the map with the shields on them.


So that's pretty much it for now!  I'll post other version of the map, or revised version of this map, when I finish them.  Feedback is always welcome.  I find this map to be a large step forward both in terms of detail and style, but I'd like to hear other opinions. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you really need the ad feeds? Distracting and amateurish.

Labyrinthian said...

While I appreciate your criticism I think you need to realize that this amateur site, that is to say I am not a professional being paid for creating and maintaining it. The ads are an attempt to generate a small amount of revenue to attain and maintain a unique domain name and possibly move this site away from Blogger one day.

Again I appreciate the feedback. This is the first I have heard that anyone has found these ads distracting. Google ensures that the products advertised are related to content. So you may see something that interests you. If so great, and if not then please feel free not to click on them. If I find that other people share this opinion I'd be happy to remove them.

DarkBladz said...

I do not find the ads distracting at all. This site is brilliant and I wouldn't change a thing!